The last few days have been a whirlwind of activity in our household what with our preparations for our upcoming trip to San Francisco. We’ve packed our suitcases several times over, trying to fit as much as we can without exceeding the 50 lb weight limit and minimize the number taken. I’ve checked to make sure the animals are set with enough food, clean blankets, treats etc for the time we’ll be away, and to make sure their feeding and care instructions are accurate. The boys have been busy returning all the cans and bottle with deposits on them, emptying their piggy banks, as well as counting and rolling their change in order to maximize their spending money. All their electronics have been accounted for and charging, so hopefully it will be an enjoyable flight. This will be the longest flight any of us have ever taken, but we’ve flown so many times we are familiar with the process.

The kids and I have been as far west as Virginia on vacation, and Jim has gone as far as Tennessee. Last year he spent a couple days at a conference, and if it hadn’t been during the school year, or was over a weekend, we would have tagged along for a visit with Marti and her family, because he was staying only a couple of hours away from them. There was one occasion when we had a layover in Cincinnati, but I don’t count that because we never left the airport.

I’ve been reading various travel books about the city of San Fran, and have made a list of all I would like to see and do there and in the surrounding area. Karen and Brian have been making suggestions as well, and have some fun things planned like seeing a SF Giants game and the like, so it should be fun. I just dread the plane ride there. I’m not a big fan of flying, and this will be the longest ever. I mentioned this to Jim, and he suggested I leave now in the car, and maybe I would arrive back sometime near the start of school. Another thing he’s been teasing me about it the fact that there are no Dunkin’ Donuts, at least I hope he is teasing. He’s telling me there are only cafes and the like. I’ll have to stash some in the suitcase just to be on the safe side.

Today I worked first shift, which starts at the ungodly hour of 7AM. It has been at least 15 years since I’ve had to be at work that early. When I walked onto the unit they were joking it must be time to leave, because I don’t usually work until second shift, which starts at 3pm. It actually wasn’t as hard to do as I thought it would be. Tomorrow I’ll work my usual second shift, and Tuesday we’ll be off bright and early (5AM).


2 thoughts on “CALIFORNIA OR BUST

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s