We have been on a staycation this week. I took the week off for some much needed relief from the daily grind of work. We have been to the zoo, Henry’s Ark which is a local animal sanctuary where we fed all kinds of animals including zebras, and to the Indianapolis Children’s museum.
We’ve all enjoyed the extra time together. Here are a few highlights from our week:
- Playing at the splash park at the zoo and watching both kids sheer joy at the water slides and fountains. When it was nearing time to go we told them they had two more slides. Grant, smart one that he is, went on to take as long as possible to get up the slide stepping on all the water fountains on the way there.
- Jeremy and I commented that we were due an ER visit with Grant. While we didn’t go to the ER, we did pay a visit to the zoo first aid station after he tripped and caught himself with his forehead. The first aid guy looked at him and said “man, you look like a unicorn.” Grant was more concerned about not getting to get a “worker truck” from the gift shop as promised by his Mawmaw. Thankfully, he’s healing well and hasn’t seemed the least bit slowed down.
- At the Indianapolis Children’s Museum (a must see for anyone living in the region), both kids bounced from exhibit to exhibit. Maria did get her feelings hurt though, when we found a baby doll in one play area and she had to leave it. “Baby will get lonely,” she whined. Girl loves her baby dolls. We also had two Grant’s at one point in time as he got to ride and play in his very own construction truck and site. He was heartbroken each time we left and exhibit, but immediately in love with wherever we were.
- Playing at the park each evening and honing our soccer skills.
- Sleeping in…me until 7:30 or 8:00 and Jeremy until sometime between 10:00 and 11:00…he so enjoys his night owl ways.
I’m glad for the long weekend and I know that Tuesday will be painful as I have to roll out of bed at 5:00 to hit the gym. I’m thankful for the extra time together. There are lots of little moments that make me so thankful for my family and the gift of embryo adoption.